Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sometimes the Boss sings my life

There's a man on the corner singin' my life
And he's playing guitar with a rusty old knife
Each song that he sings rhymes with the true
And reminds us of something beyond the Blues

-Peter Case "Beyond the Blues"


On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge

(Chorus)
The dogs on Main Street howl
`cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister I ain't a boy, no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land

I've done my best to live the right way
I get up every morning and go to work each day
But your eyes go blind and your blood runs cold
Sometimes I feel so weak I just want to explode
Explode and tear this whole town apart
Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
Find somebody itching for something to start

(Chorus)

There's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I'm heading straight into the storm
Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
That ain't got the faith to stand its ground
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted

(Chorus)
I believe in a promised land...


-Bruce Springsteen "The Promise Land"


This is my life right now. I pray I'll have the faith to stand my ground.
Who Sings your life?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

well... right now it seems as I'm just getting off the "crazy Train", yes, by bad boy Ozzy! But really, I turn to worship, and songs of faith to boost my day. A gentle reminder of faith, healing, and the living word. The Boss is amazing though, and I do enjoy a Springstein song once in a while.

little naive said...

Relient K?
JK they tend to sing moments in my life. I like to say they have a song for everything.
Well Mr. Herring...it's a new season. For you specially moving and such (we've missed you a lot this week by the by. HA ha GCB Live had us on our toes...the stage was a little messy at the begining of today and we where all saying that it would have made you cry. So we got it up to 'Marc Herring standard' Kenrick said it would have made you proud. That was a tangent for you.) Anyway...I don't know what this song means to you but I'll be praying for you. You'll get through this for sure. Think Dessert song. :D "I will sing praise, I will sing praise, no wepon formed against me shall remain, I will rejoice, I will declare, God is my victory and He is here."
Psalms 27:(I don't know what because I'm getting this out of the message Bible.) "God holds me head and shoulders above all who try to pull me down."
Honestly God just brought me out of the wildest season of my life, dark and weird...and I'm now in one of the best. He won't leave you. :D I'll be praying for you.

little naive said...

ps...you won't leave Him either.

marc said...

oh i'm not worried, little naive. I taking into the unknown. Everytime I declare, "I have the faith," i follow with, "God, give me more faith. I'm just getting ready to move into the promised land.

Robin said...

here's the thing...i saw your shameless plea, too. i have to admit, i was a little intimidated. i'm heading into a new season now, too...my new job has completely turned my world upside down in the very best possible way. previous to getting my new job, i would say that The Weepies were singing my life, mainly "Not Your Year." very sadly appropriate. but now, i'm hoping that I'm going to start singing my life. is that narcissistic? it's just been quite a while since i've wanted to, but now i'm starting to feel the spirit move me to write again. pretty exciting, huh??

also, if marc herring is anything, he is bad-ass. :o)

marc said...

aww, Robin, you're the best.
you do it! you write those songs!
Your old stuff has sung my life a night or two. It'd be good to have some new!
I've been gettin' the itch lately too. and i've been writing a little. not songs, but words on a page in my journal. it feels good. hopefully something will come of it.

JML said...

Marc, I really want to change this around so that someone like Linkin Park is singing your life, because I know that something as awful as that would send you into a tantrum of some sort or another. Not like you really freak out, (EVER) but that might just do it.

Robin said...

thanks, marc.
hooray for writing, however it comes. and even if nothing ever "comes of it," there will at least be the healing of the soul from the very act. and isn't that mostly what we're looking for anyway?