Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hustler's grab your guns...

...your shadow weighs a ton
driving down the 101

I added 423 miles yesterday all on the 101, but i started out the morning hittin' the surf with my bro. it was a gorgeous morning at the south jetty and the good Lord did grant us each our one good ride (which for me means I paddled into the biggest wave of the day, stayed on my belly for a bit cuz I was nervous, and then stood up for like 3 seconds). But you combine a little wave fighting, a little wave riding, and 9 hours of driving you get one tired Marc, so here's yesterday's post.

a few points of interest on the 101 run:
  • the nicest rest stop ever is just north of Brookings, OR. It's nicely landscaped with a huge park and some trials, outdoor picnic area shielded from the wind, and clean (not new, but clean) bathrooms . there is a manned guest info station with free maps, and get this!...free wifi? what? at a rest stop? yes. God bless Oregon.
  • somehow Dairy Queen has managed to put a restaurant in every Oregon coast town
  • there is another interesting chain in some of those towns- the Wacky Tobacconist, which i thought said the Wacky Baconist when i saw it in the first town. I mean, how great would that be! A whole store for Bacon!
  • driving for a few hours and then seeing a sign that says 373 miles to San Francisco is pretty discouraging 

No comments: