Wednesday, September 24, 2008

boo to the 5

So really the 24 Days of Awesome turned out to be more like the 22 Days of Awesome and 2 long-ass days of driving that were only partly awesome. what gives?  right around 2200 miles total from Spokane to LA (in a rather round-a-bout sort of fasion) and all kinds of good people along the way.
Today i landed in Placentia, CA at Andy's (his name is not a funny color because he never blogs anymore....guilt.) folk's house. I'm so grateful that they agreed to take me in while I register at school and find a place of my own.
I logged 525 miles today. I added a few miles so that I could pay  dollars to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge. I glad I did because then I crossed over to I5 and had the, straightest most uneventful drive of my life. The first few vineyards and orchards were pretty. then all I saw for 400 miles were vineyards, orchards, and dead grass. Luckily, i was prepared. Today's music selections included:

  • this dope-ass mix that Katie made me for the drive
  • Jeremy Enigk "World Waits"
  • Frightened Rabbit "The Midnight Organ Fight"
  • Damien Jurado "Caught In the Trees"
  • Bruce Springsteen "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
  • Wilco "Sky Blue Sky"
  • Patty Griffin "1000 Kisses"
  • Margot and the Nuclear So and So's "The Dust of Retreat"
  • Sarah Masen "The Dreamlife of Angels"
  • Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks"
  • Ben Lundquist "Afterthoughts"
maybe today was awesome afterall...minus the swass.

4 comments:

J said...

Hmmm, I'm so glad you made it safely. And, oh Marc, I love hearing your voice in your posts!!! Nathan recommended Damien Juardo to me...any others on that list that you think I would really care for?

Unknown said...

but the $$$ was worth crossing the golden gate! sounds like quite the ride. I love 101, great drive. happy to hear you made it. .

Sarah Walker said...

So...Cali huh? PTL you made it safely! Thanks for calling...oh wait! Yeah...
Well, I can't wait to hear about how God is going to provide your "daily bread"!

JML said...

Marc, you're not really a Californian in my eyes. Maybe a New Mexican, but you're not Hollywood (I mean that as a compliment by the way). You're too white, and not rich yet, so I just can't picture you in L.A. Either way, I hope that you're blessed and stay in one piece.