Thursday, August 21, 2008

WIL COme together

Preface: I think i'm cool. Now, this is not true, but none-the-less i continue to think it's true.

I went to see WILCO and the Fleet Foxes a couple nights ago. The Fleet Foxes were money. I think these 5 dudes grew up in the foot hills of the Appalachians with only one guitar. Because they only had one guitar they all learned to sing really, really well and make sweet, sweet harmonies. Somehow they found a Rhodes and a mandolin along side of the road and turned up the reverb way too much. I love it.
Wilco was magical. I haven't been the biggest Wilco fan, despite Andy and Nard's best efforts, but recently have been getting into them more and more. Alt/Country/Noise/Funk/Folk/Rock = awesome. But That's just the music. I think there was something a whole lot bigger going on... These dudes are not cool. They're all middle aged or older, they don't dress cool, they were kinda funny, but like nerdy funny. I thought, maybe the drummer was cool, but then I realized his drum set was made of clear plastic- clearly uncool.
Between acts, i was chatting with Tricia who is quite a people watcher. We were noticing how many different styles of people were there, in addition to the fact that we never thought there'd be that many people in Boise who would come out to a Wilco concert. This group was so diverse. There was the guy wearing a sarong with a flower behind his ear, there was the bro (aka- short spikey hair and abercrombie t-shirt), there was the guy from the Record Exchange with the grandiose mustache, and a drove of normalish, unoriginal, rather uncool looking people of all ages, literally 5 to 75. I said to Tricia, "Well, I guess the lesson tonight is- Wilco brings people together." I said this kind of jokingly, but as the night went I realized how true it was.
After the sun went down in our beautiful (aka- dusty) southern Idaho sky and things cooled off a bit, the band got into it a little more and so did the crowd. The back lights on stage were overthrowing enough to put light on the faces around me. Every head was bobbing and most singing along. Those that weren't singing were smiling wide. Somehow 5 uncool dudes armed with instruments and songs brought together a most unlikely and uncool group of people. There might have been someone there that was cool, but no one knew it. If no one recognizes that you're cool, are you? All cool powers were lost that night because people weren't surrounded by others like them that thought they were cool. Everyone was uncool together....Which i think, then, makes everyone cool. All I know is I was pumped that the guy next to me, who was bobbing his head so hard that his whole body was shaking, was having a great time.
Bravo Wilco! I think redemption is afoot here. I probably need to do a little more investigation in Wilco's tunes. Maybe in 15 years i'll be uncool enough to have a really cool band.

Sorry this is so long. I leave you with this:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are crazy. jeff tweedy is one of the coolest humans alive. glen kotche?! nels Cline?!!!! well...nels cline is totally weird but in the most awesome way possible. and john stirratt is totally beautiful.

C-O-O-L!!!!!!!!!!!!! so so so very cool.

you owe every one of their albums another few listens to fully understand the depth and magnitude of their cool factor.

marc said...

Karli,

Maybe you didn't finish the post, but it turns out they're like the coolest guys ever, just in a totally uncool, nerdy, non-rock star kind of way. I'll admit, after I found out the guitar player's name was Nels and that he was 62, i thought he was pretty cool. And i've been playing wilco records nonstop since the concert.

Anonymous said...

holy moley! nels cline is 62!?? no wonder he's so amazing. he's probably been playing guitar for like 50 years.

i agree with the nerdy aspect. i think that's why i like them so much. they don't even try, they let their talent make them cool.

marc said...

whoops. 52. so he's probably been playing for 40 years. No wonder he's so amazing.

JML said...

Marc, someone is going to be writing about you like this someday. It's pretty entertaining!!!

katie henbest said...

i enjoy hearing you and Karli banter. both smart musicians. it is enlightening really.

naphtali said...

Did you move? I heard you were moving?! Wow, how exciting. Could you give me some deets?

jdaviddark said...

WOW...
nicely put and nicely curated. that lester bangs exchange is IT.
glad to find your blog, marc.
i think you asked me a really good question (somewhere back there) in an e-mail. do you have any memory of it. might you repeat it for me?

all the best,
jdd