Tuesday, August 19, 2008

listen. to music.

So most of my roommates moved out. Kyle still remains, but who knows when he'll be gone again off to wild fire fighting...Anyway, last night I had the house all to myself. After watching a little TV while eating leftovers, I turned it off. [sigh] that's nice. I think the TV has been on for a great majority of the in-house waking hours (some sleeping too) in the last year of my life. With a quick little patch job, I plugged my computer into the surround sound system that Vinnie left us and just listened to music. The lamps seemed a little too bright so I grabbed some candles that Jeff left us and just got to listen. So often we play music in the background, a soundtrack to our lives while we drive, work, play, talk, cruise the internet. That's great. I've got some playing right now. Life would be a little dull without it. But it's nice once in a while to bring music to the front of our perception and enjoy it like we'd enjoy an art show or a movie. I think one of music's jobs is to bring justice (more on this later. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this idea) to our souls. It can help make things right. So let it. Do it. Listen. to music.

I want to try out a little something new here too. We'll call it 'song of the season,' because i'm not sure i would keep up 'song of the day' or even 'song of the week' (and because of the nice alliteration!) This one is "Blue Rondo a la Turk" from the 1959 Dave Brubeck Quartet album Time Out. check out how these brilliant geniuses mess with time and make you like it. Just when you think you've had enough of trying to figure out what meter they're in they bust into this smooth swing, Paul Desmond's sweet tone just soothing away all those thought of, "oh, i could never make music this good."


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice pick on the brubeck song. that album and miles davis helped me fall in love with jazz.

do you ever have listening parties when a new album comes out by one of your favorite artists? i've heard of people doing that. inviting folks over, eating snacks, dimming the lights and listening to the album all the way through before talking again. we should both try it and blog our results.

marc said...

ooo, I've never done it with a complete new album, but that's a great idea! Back my the days at the Contemporary Music Center (thecomtemporarymusiccenter.com) my great friend Andy and I would DJ listening parties all the time! We were playing, writing, recording music so much that we had to make intentional time just to listen. bliss.

J said...

I'm excited to see how your head wraps around the music as tge "justice of the soul" idea. I'm so glad I know someone like you!

katie henbest said...

Dr. C - the first person that came to mind while listening. mostly because he could tell us every single thing that was going on and why? he's crazy. and genius. why don't we ask him if we can have some genius?

katie henbest said...

i ripped off your "mountain man music" despcription in my blog this morn...but i gave you credit, ok? ok!

i'm still trying to understand what Wilco did on stage last night...