Tuesday, April 7, 2009

in memory of my 'stache

It all started last year for "mustache March...and maybe April" as i put it. then i just had a 'stache for until about October when i decided to go big or go...normal? anyway, here's the night before it all came off.







Well, it's nice not to have to wax up the old stache in the morning, and it's also nice to be able to eat without also eating my stache. But i do miss it. The funny looks and random conversations that it generated. Even on the subway where people do not talk to one another, i'd get to meet all sorts of people just cuz I had this huge thing on my upper lip.
Although i did receive many complements with exclamatory expletives I think the best one came through action. There were three high school students on the subway squished into a space for two trying to get a good self-taken picture of themselves...or so they would have others believe, but not me. I saw what was going down. I knew the lines, the nervous talk of how good the picture of the three of was. I had done this too many times myself. Actually they were just trying to document the guy with the huge mustache they had seen on the subway to show their friends. I was that guy! Thanks random high schoolers, for the best compliment i could have received.

5 comments:

J said...

Oh sheesh...I almost want to set your picture as my background and giggle at it every moment of my life. This is great in so many ways. Way to be a cooler version of the Mullet Cam to those high schoolers!!!

katie henbest said...

amazing. i don't know what else to say...except i wish i could have seen it in real life. and, i'm so glad you are "that guy."

Jamie and Trevor said...

really. it.is.incredible. and you are the only guy I know who could come remotely close to pulling it off. you are one hip 19th century civil war general. :)

Ken said...

That was freaking amazing!!! Grow it back!!!

little naive said...

Oh buddy...I heard about the stache...Honestly I was scared of the description itself...but now that I've seen it I have to say...and this means a lot because I think mustaches are TERRIFYING!!! It looked amazing. Way amazing!
I'm sorry that you're going through this heart ach of losing it. I once was a part of the VW brotherhood. The random conversations about my bug were the best. I know how it feels to lose that. Keep you're head up...although I'm sure that's a lot easier without that thing weighing it down.