Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ode to Schrode

I have a music theory professor named Carl Schroder. he's a crazy genius, and i've been thinking for weeks that i need to share some of his brilliance with you. He's an entertainer and usually slips into some rather crude analogies and such, but today was a rather mild day so I figured I'd put up a few quotes. think a Brooklyn accent.

"Well, strap me to a hog and slather me with bear grease! It's a passing diminished chord!"

Student: Hey Schroder, you there's supposed to be a major third on that one.
Schroder: "What?! What else did i miss? You guys gotta help me out here. I mean, I wake up in the morning and read the obituaries, and If i'm not in there I get up and have a cup of coffee, ya know? Never thought i'd have so much fun goin' down."

"Stackin up the 3rds like bails of marijuana!...medical marijuana of course."

"I think ear training is the most important thing we do here. Cuz if you can hear it, you can use it, just like a big-ass word."

Other times Schroder drops in these great philosophical quotes like

"Freedom is the acceptance of contraint." or "One man's music is another man's chaos."

You really never know what you're gonna get. I wish I video. It's impossible to get the full effect without seeing him bouncing around the class, dancing, mumbling to himself, talking in the third person, ripping on students, etc. I don't think there's been a class session yet, where he hasn't had us all rolling.

3 comments:

marcushackler.com said...

I told you to video blog. Now you know why.

Seriously though, rock star school sounds amazing.

katie henbest said...

ha. splendid!

kylee said...

just like a big ass word! i will now be regularly stopping along this blog for shrodes and marc