Thursday, May 7, 2009

people who know people i know or sorta know or used to know

i'm constantly amazed at the small world network of rock'n'rollers having a go at following Jesus.

one night last week while i was rehearsing with Jon Hans and Friends my guitar tone was particularly bitchin. it called to mind an album from a little known (or so i thought) band called The Cinematic Underground. i asked if any of my bandmates had heard of these genuises, and Jon said, "how do you know them?" Which i followed with, "How do you know them?" Jon, a former YWAMer, had spent a summer with Nathan Jonhson, the super-genuis leader of the Cinematic Underground, at a YWAM conference in England. I know of the band because they are friends of the Contemporary Music Center of which i am an alumnus, and had briefly met Nathan a show in Brooklyn on the CMC road trip. weird.

last friday i helped some of my new friends from Jon's band put on a show at a cool warehouse space downtown. a rockin' new band called Brown Sugar Sinks performed. good people. And i met some other good peeps at the show including some who go to my church whom i'd yet to met. in one random conversation, the band Telecast was brought up, i think because of a mishearing of the name of this sweet band. Anywho, I told the others that i used to know some of the guys in Telecast, because some of them played in Buddy Ruckus, who was a big brother band to my band growing up. Apparently one of the guys, who i hadn't seen in mmm, 7 years is the lead music guy at a church nearby. huh.

i think there were more too, but i'm failing to remember. it's just interesting (not new news, but wonderful news none-the-less) to me how God blesses those with a common mission, in him, to run in the same global circle. He is so good.

1 comment:

naphtali said...

It's so true!! We live in such a small world! Crazy. Umm...I think I should be on your 'friends who blog list...'. I'm just saying. :) {USLC - is that right? How I quickly forget...}