Monday, January 19, 2009

Goals for 2009

After seeing a few people post some goals for 2009, i was reminded of my Dad always saying, "if you want it happen, write it down and review it often." So I took some time the first weekend of this year to reflect, pray, and contemplate (something i picked up in my Capital Christian Center days) and write some goals for '09. So, i've been working on some of them already, but i figured if i put them up here, then i'll be obligated to report at the end of the year, and a little accountability never hurt anybody, even if it's just for my own guilty conscience.

The Goals:

Journal More (at least once a week)
Ok, so i've had the same journal since 2003 and i'm not even close to the end. Shameful, i know. But during my weekend of reflection i did a little "journal harvesting," a term i picked up from Morris Weigelt (side note: who wrote, this book that changed so much for me) meaning read and remember how good God is. Anyway, one a week, sadly, would be a big improvement.

Practice Guitar at least 18 hours per week
18 because that's 3 hours a day with a day to rest, or a couple days where there's not as much time and I slack a little.

Send Snail Mail
My folks were helping my grandparents go through some things last year and they found some really old letters. It was go great to touch the yellowed paper, see the handwriting of my kin, and get a glimpse of what their lives were like. I want my kids and grand kids to be able to do that! And write now i'm all about investing in people in ways that aren't a screen. I didn't put a number on this one, cuz really, if i send one letter, i think that would be more than last year...

Finish at least 2 songs
Again, one more than last year. With all the guitar practice to be done, songwriting has been pushed to the back burner. I started a lot on songs last year and only finished one.

Memorize more scripture
I started making a better effort to memorize scripture at the end of last year. I started in James, cuz I was reading it through in my quiet time and I found, "But be doers of the Word, not hearers only deceiving yourselves. (1:22)" Uh...whoops. I'm probably doing a little deceiving... Then in Chapter 2 There's the whole "Faith Without Works is Dead" section. "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)," right? Or as the Tracy Wilde Amplified Version says, "Faith comes by hearing, hearing, hearing, hearing, hearing the Word of the Lord." (Tracy, I'm not making fun.) So what better way to hear it over and over than to memorize!
Jesus knew the text. When he was tempted in Matt 4, he answered with, "It is written..." And one of those ends, "...man does not live on bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."
Ok, really, I could go on and on with reasons to memorize, but i'll stop. I didn't put a specific amount in this goal because i want make sure i contemplate each piece as I go, making sure to get it in my heart, not just my head.

1 comment:

J said...

I love the idea of writing penned letters! Um, if you need my address you just let me know. :)

I too am making it a goal to memorize scripture this year!